Wednesday, July 9, 2014

It's Not a Requirement

           For my writing class we were assigned to write an opinion editorial on something we have a strong opinion about. We had a one on one meeting with our professor about our paper, and my professor actually gave me the idea to post my opinion editorial on a blog for it to be read. Little did he know I actually do have a blog and  his idea was brilliant! So, this is my paper for my writing class, that I want to share with all y'all. (PS: Life here at BYU is great & I love it more and more every single day!)


           A father of a 20-year-old wrote a blog post about one Sunday at a sister missionary’s farewell, that his daughter was asked many times when she is serving, though she hadn’t received the prompting to serve. The father wrote about how he could tell she felt uncomfortable and that he felt the judgment that she was receiving. He expresses his concerns for all young women who don’t serve a mission; will they be thought of as not worthy to serve a mission, will boys not want to marry them, are some girls just going on a mission because it’s the “cool” thing to do?     
Being an almost 19-year-old LDS girl, I wouldn’t be able to tell you how many times I have been asked, “When are you going on a mission?” Not if I am going on a mission, but when. In 2012, President Monson delivered the news about the missionary age change. Young men, who previously left at 19, can now leave at the age of 18, and young women, who previously left at 21, now can leave at 19. With this age requirement lowered, it has become more common that young women serve missions, which has placed social pressure on 19-year-old girls of the church.
            First things first, I am not saying that going on a mission is a bad thing. I think it’s awesome that girls have the opportunity to serve. I have had aunts, ward members, and friends serve missions, and I have only heard positive things. I have a personal testimony of missionary work and how important it is. I am not in anyway trying to say that girls shouldn’t serve missions. I’m saying just the opposite - girls who feel that they should serve definitely should. That is the way it has always been and that is the way it always will be.
            However, with the age lowering, so many more young women have been deciding to serve that there is now added pressure for all young women to serve. President Monson said, "We affirm that missionary work is a priesthood duty—and we encourage all young men who are worthy and who are physically able and mentally capable, to respond to the call to serve. Many young women also serve, but they are not under the same mandate to serve as are the young men. We assure the young sisters of the Church, however, that they make a valuable contribution as missionaries, and we welcome their service."  The prophet of the church, the one who received the revelation to lower the age requirement, said very clearly that young women are not required to serve a mission.
The flood of missionaries, especially sister missionaries, is so exciting. How rapidly the good news is spreading is exhilarating. I think it is wonderful that sisters choose to serve a mission. They are wonderful examples to me. I strive to be as faithful as the young women I know who have served a mission and hearing their stories has strengthened my testimony. Other sisters in the church that are wonderful mothers and sisters who haven’t served missions are just as good of an example and have just as strong of a testimony. I look up to them and they have affected my life just as those who have served missions.
One of my friends told me that at her high school, boys are now saying that they aren’t going to marry a woman unless she is a return missionary. This standard is a bit ridiculous considering the fact that girls aren’t required to serve a mission. Girls need to pray and fast to receive their answer on whether or not they are supposed to serve. Nothing should influence a girl’s decision except for inspiration received from Heavenly Father.
I have felt the judgment of others when I say I am not planning on going on a mission. I have felt almost expected to go on a mission. Sometimes I even feel like I am letting people down because I’m not planning on a mission, and it’s all due to the pressure and judgement that is being placed on us young women. Family members always ask me when I am planning on putting my mission papers in and I feel like I am upsetting them when I say that a mission isn’t in my plan as of right now.
I have spoken to some of my roommates and friends about this subject, and they all agree that there is so much pressure. Some of them are planning on serving a mission, but even though they have chosen to serve, they agree and say they can see the pressure that is so prevalent. The age change should not have caused this social shift.
The pressure on young women needs to stop because it is a problem. Everyone needs to remember what President Monson said: that young women are welcome to serve, but it is not a responsibility for them.
God has a plan for each and every one of us. Some girls are meant to go on a mission and others aren’t. Others are called to get married and start a family, while others are called to serve. Is the young woman who chooses eternal marriage and motherhood instead of first taking the option to serve a full-time mission any less servable to in the kingdom of God? Either way, the kingdom of God is growing and people are being blessed.
A girl who isn’t planning on serving a mission shouldn’t feel less about herself or feel looked down upon. Serving a mission doesn’t establish if you are a good person or not. What you do in this life and how you follow God’s plan for you shows Him how faithful you are. Serving a mission isn’t required of you. You have a choice. Let Heavenly Father guide you.


No comments:

Post a Comment